Monday, July 27, 2009

Kittens

On the 23rd, I was out cutting some artichokes from our garden bed, when I heard little mewing. Behind a piece of plywood, against the side wall, I found four little kittens. I knew that if the mom was one of the strays that hangs out in our yard, she wouldn't come back to them during the day. They had to have been moved there over night. And I didn't want them to stay out in the heat, alone, all day long. So I brought them inside. At first, I guessed that they were about 6 weeks old; old enough to be weaned. But then I discovered that they didn't know how to eat from a bowl. Odds are, they are closer to 4 weeks. I bought some kitten formula, but had to feed them with a dropper. I posted an ad on Craigslist, and a rescue agency contacted me. They work with "foster homes" for the animals until they can be adopted out. They said they'd be able to take them, but it would take a couple days. The next morning, Brigid was playing with the kittens while I cleaned the rabbit cages. I heard some mewing again, and was about to tell her to get the kitten away from the door, when I realized the sound was different. momma kitty was poking her head in the back door! We put a kitten outside, and she let it nurse, so I went back in and got a can of food. She started eating right away, and even let me pet her while she was eating! So I knew we were in the clear! I picked her up and brought her inside as well. We set them all up in the bathroom together. I had to go back to the store to buy more food and litter for her. It was a big relief that I wouldn't have to hand feed the babies anymore!

The bad news is that momma isn't litter box trained, so they are all stuck in the bathroom! Weird though- she goes to the bathroom in the tub! Strange cat. But she's so sweet. The babies are getting really playful, and are starting to use the litter box. A couple of them have eaten little bits off the plate. The rescue place said that the home that was going to take the babies can't take the mom. And there is another house that can take the mom but not the babies! Some of the foster families are on vacation, and the cats they housed have all had to be shifted around. So everyone is pretty much at capacity! I spoke with them again yesterday, and they asked if I could just keep them a little longer, and to try to get the kittens to eat from the bowl, so they can wean.

I'm not supposed to have cats. But mom has agreed that as long as I promise I won't be keeping them, it is okay. We are all just so happy that they will be able to go to a rescue place where they will be vetted and get their shots and get fixed before they are adopted out. Momma and two of the babies have extra toes, and Dani from the rescue said that those cats are really easy to find homes for. One guy had responded to my post on Craigslist, so he is waiting till that particular kitten is old enough to adopt. They are so cute! I know, all kittens are. But really, these ones are great!!! It will be sad to see them go.



No comments:

Post a Comment